Monday, June 13, 2011

My experiments with NSS

Hello folks! I am writing a bit too infrequently nowadays but the summer heat has made me too lazy. However, I found some time this May to do something for the society. Of course, the NSS work began with the lust of hours and the aim to complete them soon enough. But what I saw during those visits, I guess that really got me involved. Let us see how...

That was a day that really had me turned
I was just thinking about some petty hours
But when I went for the field work
The sights i saw
simply made my heart churn


I went over to Rohini
musing over a wasted day
but what i saw there
I forgot to be bored
and made my eyes somewhat runny

I just though it to be some stupid job
But when I saw those houses
(if you could call them so)
I was like, my God
there's nothing here even to rob


Those people out there
what they were facing i hope none do
they didn't even  qualify as poor
they were miserable
cos some of them didn't even own a freaking chair

They had managed themselves a shelter
but i couldn't even dream of living in them
cos not only were they unhygenic,
in some cases, even a dog's 'home'
seemed a lot better

And there lives were even worse
some were old abandoned parents
other with no eyesight or maybe no ears
some even had crippled sons to support
it seemed as if they had been given a curse

But despite all these sights
the strangest seems the fact 

that although they said nothing about their lives
their eyes seemed to plead
they seemed to beg for someone to free them from their plights

But well, who cares for them right
we have our own life to handle
clear exams, get good jobs etc...
but now these problems seem stupid
cos now i see the world in a new light

Our problems are not worth the issue
we cry over lost marks or opportunities
but they don't cry over their lives
they have a right but they don't
rather they silently wipe their tears off a tissue

so once in a while, moving away from us
we need to lend them a hand
They may have got themselves a roof
but believe me a 'thela' is no home
and that's not what anybody deserves

the shelf of their happiness can be filled
but it requires a little help from you
just remember the motto
'service before self'
and I'm sure one day they'll have a filled shelf

Signing off...
A NSS Volunteer

PS
1) It really was an enlightening trip down to those slums. A hearty thanks to Arushi and Lovejeet for that.
2) It really gives you peace to know that you could help the society in some way. So please contribute.

4 comments:

Creative Commons License
Poetry by Abhishek Tayal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.