Friday, December 24, 2010

Unhoisting the flag

Well readers, its been many days since I came back from Amritsar but its today that I'm going to write a post on my experience there. Today I'm going to elaborate my visit to wagah border and the retreat ceremony that occurs everyday there in the evening done jointly by the Indian and Pakistani soldiers. I must say 1 thing before I start, that to experience true patriotism one must visit wagah border once. Rest you can see now......

You must have seen many a times
the Indian flag being hoisted in ceremonies
But it was the 1st time I saw it being unhoisted

in a ceremony just as much grand
that too where both borders stand

Both of course refers to India and Pakistan
where else did you expect such a drama
but what a show it was I must admit
i didn't feel a little bit bored
and the spirit of patriotism simply soared

You may not be getting the feel right now
but once you see the guards march
and the crowd sing national songs with unity and joy
you feel a surge of energy in you
one feels that you should do something for our country too

The faces of the soldiers are something to be seen
filled with intense anger and emotion is what we can clearly see
it shows that they can do anything for the country
be it giving their own lives or taking others
but pledged they have to protect this lands' daughters and mothers

Well what to say about the actual ceremony
people were singing and dancing with joy
and the soldiers made great formations
but the best was the exact coordination on both sides
and the beat of their foots came as strong tides

then there was a small competition going on
as to which side's general could shout for a longer time
and see who stopped first and who went on
the winning side then erupted in a roar
and expected wins some more

In about 30 minutes or so
the flags were finally unhoisted
while doing so each side felt great respect for its nation
tears welled up in many eyes
and I urge even you all to go there to see what there lies


Signing off...
A true Indian

PS
1) Life is a lot of fun post inter IIT which has neglected me from my duties towards web development and I find myself not up to the mark in it these days. Sorry Anant Sir...
2) Now that I've started with my Amritsar experiences expect the next few posts all related to it :)

2 comments:

Creative Commons License
Poetry by Abhishek Tayal is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 India License.